The living is oh-so-easy in the summertime, but the easy living can sometimes take a major toll on your dental health. To ensure that your summer in Anderson, SC doesn’t leave you searching for a dentist, beware of the 5 culprits that can ruin your smile during the summer months.
1. The swimming pool. Chlorinated pool water is highly acidic and repeated exposure can weaken and erode your enamel. It’s hard to avoid taking in little pool water when you’re having fun, but take the time to rinse your mouth out with plain water once the fun is over. In fact, if you’ll be in the pool for an extended amount of time, take a few breaks throughout the day to rinse away the acidity. It’s also wise to be aware of the number of dental injuries that occur in or around the pool. Avoid running or playing recklessly in or near the pool. It’s easy to break a tooth or suffer a mouth injury by falling or bumping into the concrete or another person.
2. Energy drinks. Staying hydrated is essential as the weather warms up and you become more active, but energy drinks come with a hidden risk. Sugars and citric acids are erosive to the enamel. Each sip of these beverages increases your risk for enamel erosion and sensitivity. Protect your teeth by limited your sipping and substituting with water as much as possible.
3. Snacking. Fun snacks by the pool or on a road trip are nice, but don’t forget to brush and floss if you want to avoid cavities. Sugarless gum can help to curb your snacking habit while also neutralizing the acids from your snacks.
4. Teeth whitening. Want whiter teeth for the summer? Most teeth whitening products are safe, but can cause you to experience some sensitivity to cold water, ice cream, or air conditioning.
5. Missed dental appointments. Don’t skip your dental appointments because of vacations or other summer activities. A summer dental checkup is the best way to ensure that the other culprits aren’t harming your smile.